Slurping down empty calories is one of the easiest ways to derail a healthy eating plan. But beverages can also play a positive role in your smart snacking strategy. Instead of turning to fat- and sugar-laden sweets when a craving hits, try one of these natural drinks, slushies, or smoothies, perfect for sipping on the go.
This recipe makes a refreshing and nutritious snack — especially once you swirl in fresh fruit. Makes 4 shakes (188 calories each).
These drinks make a refreshing and nutritious snack — especially once you swirl in fresh fruit.
Soft silken tofu provides the best results for this drink. If you only have firm or extra-firm silken tofu on hand, however, you can add as much as a quarter cup of extra soy milk to achieve the desired consistency. To reduce the fat, use the lite variety.
You also can try substituting blueberries or raspberries for the strawberries, or you can experiment with other soft fruits like mangos and peaches.
This shake stores well in the refrigerator for up to three days.
Prep: 10 minutes
Total: 10 minutes
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen, unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1 cup plain soymilk
- 1 small ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 package (12 ounces) silken tofu, soft, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- In a blender, puree berries until smooth. Remove, and rinse blender.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in the blender.
- Puree until smooth and thoroughly mixed, scraping down sides with rubber spatula as necessary.
- Divide among glasses and spoon strawberry puree on one side of each glass. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator. If refrigerating, whisk to recombine just before serving.